How to get rid of Dull Skin
At birth all of us are blessed with glowing, soft skin. As we pass through life, the skin starts to become dull in appearance, develops an irregular and uneven skin tone and also starts to show other signs of ageing.
The reason the skin appears dull is due to the accumulation of dead cells (keratin) on the skin surface. The dead layer of cells should be shed off but sometimes, they accumulate and cause the skin to appear lackluster and grayish. This happens due to ageing. Stress, underlying medical problems, lack of good regular skincare, poor diet, dehydration and pollution further compound the problem.
So, what can we do to keep our skin glowing and look its best? here are a few tips.
1. Have a regular cleansing, toning, moisturising routine.
2. Exfoliate the skin 2 times a week to remove the dead layer of cells.
3. Use a sunscreen regularly. This will reduce damage to the skin due to UV light.
4. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to get your anti-oxidants.
5. Drink 10-12 glasses of water a day to keep your skin hydrated.
6. If you have an underlying medical problem like diabetes or thyroid issues, do not neglect it. Have your regular health checks and get treated appropriately.
7. De-stress: you can walk, hit the gym, yoga or meditation. There is no single de-stress mantra, each one has to find their own solution.
8. Use a facepack at home about 2-3 times a week. You can add unripe papaya rind to some honey and gram flour to make a pack at home. The unripe papaya with huge amounts of vitamin A rejuvenates the skin. The gram flour will cleanse and exfoliate the skin and honey will moisturise the skin.
In spite of looking after your skin, if you still have dull skin, you can see a dermatologist. The dermatologist may give you medicated creams containing retinol or beta hydroxy acids which will help rejuvenate the skin. You may also get prescribed some oral anti-oxidants or plant extracts which would be helpful.
You can also consider undergoing either chemical peels or microdermabrasion. Both these procedures remove the dead cell layer of the skin and result in a healthy glow to the skin. The chemical peels can also reduce the pigmentation of the skin and result in a more even toned skin.
So, follow the tips and work your way towards a glowing skin.
About Dr Sirisha Singh
Dr Sirisha Singh, the founding member and partner consultant of The Skin Center, is highly qualified with 8 years of work experience in the United Kingdom. Dr Sirisha Singh is a well known name in the Dermatology and academic circles and keeps in touch continuously with all the latest trends in anti-ageing medicine and Dermatology by regularly attending and presenting in conferences. She is a trainer for LUMENIS and regularly trains other doctors on the use of skin LASERs. Dr Sirisha Singh is particularly interested in injectables for anti-ageing such as botulinum toxin and fillers.